Author Topic: What is the name associated with the descendant's of William the conquerer?  (Read 1937 times)

Offline ssbuscher

• Auxiliary
Who where his decedents and what last name would they have?

thanks

Offline Smardz

• Optio
  • graduated lawyer
and what last name would they have?
Their last name was probably "of England" :)

That was Norman dynasty.
They were Normans (descendants of Vikings settled in Normandy, in France)
Greetings from the very east of EU.

Offline scout1067

• Eastern Emperor
  • BA-Mlitary History,MA European History,BS IT
I am not 100% sure but I think that Williams direct line is extinct.
"History is what happened, not what we wanted to happen."-Me
Follow me on Twitter:    No really! Follow me! I have all kinds of neat stuff to say.

Offline Phidippides

• Emperor
  • Global Dominion
  • Caesar
I don't know the name, but I imagine it's something extremely common, like "Smith" or "Jones" or something like that (actually, I don't think it's "Smith", since that's probably a derivation of "Blacksmith" or "Goldsmith" or something similar).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 12:03:22 PM by Phidippides »
"Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses" ~Juvenal

Offline scout1067

• Eastern Emperor
  • BA-Mlitary History,MA European History,BS IT
They most likely did not have what we would today consider a surname.  Most nobiloity did not and many still do not, instead taking a name that denotes the seat of their house or origin of their nobility.

The English Royal family has only had a real surname, Windsor, since WWI when they adopted the name of the family's main castle and dropped their German house name of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to emphasize their Englishness.  There is a pretty good description of the English Royal Families decision to use Windsor on the Royal Family's website.
"History is what happened, not what we wanted to happen."-Me
Follow me on Twitter:    No really! Follow me! I have all kinds of neat stuff to say.